Gosale (Ridgegourd) RecipeOctober 22, 2017
Puliyogare(Tamarind Rice) RecipeOctober 22, 2017
- Around 500g ivy gourds (tendli)
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, chopped as small as you can
- 1 teaspoon homemade curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Salt to taste
- Large handful of blanched almonds
- Top and tail the ivy gourds. Using the flat of a knife, smash them up until they split a little, but leave them whole. Don’t smash too hard, as then they will get mashed up.
- Heat the oil on a medium heat in a shallow pan, and add the cumin seeds. Let them splutter for about 30 seconds, then add the onion. Fry for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft.
- Add the garlic, and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tomato, Madras curry powder, ground cumin and ground black pepper. Stir together, then fry for about 5 – 7 minutes, until the masala comes together in a sticky mass.
- Add the water to the pan loosen the masala, then add the roughed up ivy gourds to the pan. Stir, until all the vegetables are well coated with the sauce. Season with the salt to taste.
- Cover the pan, and cook for about 12 – 15 minutes, until the ivy gourds are tender. Stir in the almonds.
- Serve with rice, biriyani or as a side dish with meat curries.