Dal Palak Recipe is a tasty and super delicious dish. Its easy to prepare and takes just about 30 minutes to make it.
- ½ cup dal / lentils ( I use ¼ cup toor dal & ¼ cup moong dal)
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 ¼ cup water or as needed to cook dal
- 2 cups chopped palak (use as desired)
- 1 ½ to 2 tbsps ghee or butter
- ¾ tsp cumin
- 1 large red chilli broken
- 1 tsp ginger or garlic or both chopped or grated
- 1 to 2 green chilies chopped
- Generous pinch of hing / asafoetida
- 2 pinches of turmeric
- Salt as needed
- Lemon juice
Method:Dal Palak Recipe
- Wash dal very well a few times until water runs clear. If you have time you can soak them for 15 mins to 1 hour.
- Add enough water and cook in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles on a medium heat. If using tomato you can chop it and add it to the pot. You can also cook in a pot until they soften.
- Heat a pot with ghee or butter. Add cumin and red chilies.
- When the cumin begins to splutter add ginger, garlic and green chilies. Saute well for a min. Add hing.
- Add chopped palak and saute for 3 to 4 mins on a medium heat.
- Add dal, salt and turmeric.
- Mix and add water if needed.
- Mix well and cook on a medium heat until palak wilts completely.
- Switch off when it reaches the desired consistency.
- Add lemon juice and mix.
- Serve dal palak with rice or roti.