pressure cook the Dal:
- ½ cup Toor dal
- 1 cup Water
For dal fry:
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 small or ½ cup Onion
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- 2 small Green chilies
- 1 medium or ½ Tomato
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- few sprigs Cilantro or coriander leaves
How to make the recipe
Pressure cooking the dal:
- Wash Toor dal under running cold water till water runs clear.
- Take washed dal and 1 cup of water in pressure cooker. Cover with lid, put the weight on.
- Turn the heat on medium. Let it cook for 5-6 whistles or till dal becomes soft. Let the pressure go down by itself then open the lid. Keep it aside.
Making dal fry recipe:
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add cumin seeds. Let the sizzle a bit.
- Then add chopped onions. Cook till onions are soft and light pink in color.
- Then add ginger paste, garlic paste and chopped green chili.
- Saute for a minute or till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes away.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and mix.
- Cook till tomatoes are soft.
- Then add red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and
- Mix well and cook for a minute.
- Then add cooked dal and 1 cup of water.
- Mix well and bring it to a boil. Then let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then turn off the stove. Add chopped cilantro. Also squeeze some lemon juice.
- Mix well. Remove it to a serving bowl.