Prawn Curry Recipe is a tasty and super delicious dish. It is easy to prepare and takes just about 30 minutes to make it.
- Prawns (cleaned & deveined) – 1 cup
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp.
For the Masala:
- Coconut (grated) – 1 cup
- Garlic – 2 big cloves
- Tamarind (soaked in warm water) – 1 small marble sized ball
- Bedgi Red Chillies (stemmed) – 6 to 8
- Kashmiri Red Chillies (stemmed) – 2
- Black Pepper Corns – 8 to 10
- Coriander Seeds – 1 tbsp.
- Cumin Seeds – ¼ tsp.
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Onion (finely chopped) – 1 medium sized
- Green Chillies (slit) – 3
- Kokum – 4 to 5 petals
- Thick Coconut Milk (see here) – ½ to ¾ cup
- Oil (pref. coconut) – 1 tbsp.
- Salt as per the taste
Method: Prawn Curry Recipe
- Marinate with 1 tsp. salt and ¼ tsp. turmeric to the prawns and keep aside.
- Grind all the ingredients listed under masala to a fine paste using ½ cup water.
- Add oil, Sauté the onion and two of the green chillies on medium heat till light golden
- Next, add the ground masala paste and sauté for a minute. Add 400 ml hot water (or prawn stock – see notes) and 1 tsp. salt mix. Let the curry come to a boil. Add the prawns.
- When the curry starts boiling add the kokum petals and let the curry boil for another 5 to 6 minutes. Then switch to low heat.
- Add the remaining green chilly and the thick coconut milk and let the curry cook on low heat for another 6 to 8 minutes (keep the heat low or the coconut milk will split).
To make a prawn stock: Heat a tbsp. of butter in a pan and sauté the prawn heads, shells, and tails for 2 to 3 minutes. Add adequate water and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. Strain and use instead of hot water in Step 4 to enhance flavour