- 1 dozen crabs(average size)
- 2-3 Big onions finely chopped
- 3-4 green chillies cut in small peices
- 1/2 inch ginger peice -finely chopped.
- 1/4 spoon of turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 cups ( approx) of freshly grated coconut.
- 12-15 roasted red chillies
- Marble sized peice of tamarind
- coconut oil/coconut milk (optional)
- salt to taste
- Clean the crabs by opening the shell. Rinse it in the pot of water at least 3 to 4 times.
- Add Turmeric powder, salt, finely chopped onions, ginger and green chillies to the cleaned crabs and 2-3 drops of coconut oil. Mix it well and keep it for about 20 minutes.
- For the masala, grind together freshly grated coconut, roasted chillies and tamarind into a fine paste. Pour the masala over the crabs which is now marinated for 20 minutes.
- Add enough water to arrive at a consistency of semi-solid gravy. Cook the crabs for about 15-20 minutes. If the gravy becomes thick, you can add coconut milk to it and boil it.
- Once cooked keep it closed for about 10 minutes for the crabs to absorb the flavor of the spices.
Enjoy it with Mangalorean brown rice or white rice.