SWEET MANGO PICKLE RecipeOctober 21, 2017
GINGER PICKLE RecipeOctober 21, 2017
- 1 1/2 kg tomatoes, wash, dry and slice
- large lemon sized tamarind (use if the tomatoes lack tang)
- 2 tbsps red chilli powder (adjust)
- 1 tsp methi powder
- 1 1/2 – 2 tbsps salt (adjust)
- 2-3 tbsps oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- pinch of methi seeds
- 15 fresh curry leaves
- 3-4 dry red chillis
- 15 cloves garlic, slightly crushed
- 2 tbsps oil
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add the sliced tomatoes and cook on high heat for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-high and continue to cook till the oil separates and the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Towards the end of the cooking process as the oil separates, reduce heat and keep stirring till the oil separates completely (the tomatoes could take a good 45 mts to an hour to cook). Turn off heat, add the tamarind and place lid. The tamarind will soften with the heat of the cooked tomatoes. Cool completely.
- Once cool, add salt and grind the cooked tomatoes along with tamarind to a paste. Remove onto a vessel. Add chilli powder and methi powder. Combine
- In a pan, add 2 tbsp oil, add mustard seeds, methi seeds and fry till the mustard splutters and the methi turns red. Add the dry red chillis, curry leaves and saute for a few seconds and turn off heat. Add the crushed garlic and leave aside the tempering for 4-5 mts
- Once cool, add this tempering along with oil to the tomato paste. Combine well. Cool and store in an airtight bottle. Refrigerate.