GREEN CHILLI PICKLE RecipeOctober 21, 2017
TOMATO PICKLE RecipeOctober 21, 2017
- Raw Mangoes – 2 cups, grated (wash, wipe dry, peel and grate)
- Turmeric powder – 3/4 tsp
- Sugar – 1 3/4 cups (if very sour mangoes use 2 cups)
- Cloves – 3-4 (optional)
- Cinnamon stick – 2″ (optional)
- Red chili powder – 2 tsps
- Roasted cumin powder – 1 heaped tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Place grated mangoes in a bowl, add tumeric powder and salt and set aside for an hour.The mixture will leave water.
- Place this mixture in a muslin cloth and tie it at a height and allow the liquid to drain through. Discard the liquid.
- Remove the grated mango to a wide bottomed vessel with a rim and add sugar or grated jaggery. Mix well with a clean, moisture free ladle.
- Tie a muslin cloth on top of the vessel and place in the sun for one week or till the sugar is completed melted and becomes a sticky syrup. This could take 5-10 days based on the summer heat.
- At the end of each day, bring the vesesl indoors and place a lid.Next day, stir the mixture with a clean, moisture free ladle and place it back in the sun by covering with a muslin cloth that is tied along the rim.
- Follow steps 4, 5 and 6 every day. Once the mixture reaches a sticky syrup (double string consistency), add red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, cloves and cinnamon stick and mix well.
- Remove to a sterilized bottle and store at room temperature.