- Green chillies
- Mustard seeds 2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tbs
- Fennel seeds – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 2 tbsps
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1-large
- Mustard oil/Vegetable oil
- Sun dry each of the spices in individual bowls for 2 days. Coarsely grind mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds and fennel seeds to a powder. It should be coarsely ground. Set aside.
- Wash the green chilis, remove the stalks, dry them. Chop into bite sized pieces. You can chop them into i 1/2″ or 3/4″ pieces. Place the chopped green chillies in a stainless steel or ceramic bowl.
- Add the turmeric powder and salt and mix well. Add the coarsely ground spice powder and asafoetida and mix. Add the juice of one lemon and mix well.
- Heat mustard oil till smoking hot and turn off heat. Pour the hot oil over the green chillies. Mix well and cool completely, uncovered.
- Remove to a sterilised glass bottle, cover the top with a cotton cloth and place in the hot sun for 2-3 days.You can use the pickle from the third day of preparation.
- The pickle bottle can be stored in a moisture free place at room temperature for few months. You can also refrigerate the pickle bottle.
- If you cannot sun dry the spices, you can dry roast them individually on low flame for at least 4 to 5 mins or till they change color slightly. Do not burn them
- Heat the mustard oil till it is smoking hot, Do not skip this step. Remove from heat, immediately pour into the green chilli mixture