TOMATO PICKLE RecipeOctober 21, 2017
GOOSEBERRY(AMLA)PICKLE RecipeOctober 21, 2017
- 100 gms ginger root, remove skin, wash, dry and slice
- 100 gms tamarind
- 100 gms grated jaggery or sugar
- Kashmiri red chillis
- 1 1/2 – 2 tbsps salt
- a little over one-fourth cup oil
- 1 tsp methi seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 10 fresh curry leaves
- 8-10 cloves garlic
- 2-3 tsp oil
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add the sliced ginger and fry till light pink, approx 3-4 mts. Remove and cool.
- Meanwhile, add just enough hot water to the tamarind such that it is immersed and let it soak such that it softens, Cool
- In a pan, add one or two tsps oil, add methi seeds and fry till they turn slightly red, add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and red chillis and fry for 2-3 mts. Cool, make a fine powder and keep aside.
- Once cool, grind the fried ginger slices, softened tamarind, jaggery, and salt to a fine paste. Remove onto a dish and add the ground spice powder.
- Heat 2 tsps oil in a pan, add the mustard seeds and let them crackle. Add the curry leaves and crushed garlic and fry for a few seconds. Add this to the ginger pickle and combine well. Store the pickle in an airtight container and refrigerate.